Acton Academy of Washington, DC, is a school that guides each child on a journey to develop an entrepreneurial mindset and discover a calling.
At the elementary level (ages 6-9), Acton combines Montessori principles with Socratic discussions and entrepreneurial projects, such as the Acton Children’s Business Fair of Washington, DC, where children ages 6-14 become entrepreneurs for a day. At the primary level (ages 3-6), Acton brings together an authentic Montessori curriculum in a nurturing home-away-from-home environment.
Acton Academy of Washington, DC, will open Acton Montessori Primary (ages 3-6) in North Cleveland Park in September 2018. We plan to open Acton Elementary (ages 6-9) in North Cleveland Park in September 2019. Beginning in 2020, we will add a grade per year to build Acton Upper Elementary, Middle, and High School programs. To learn how to become a founding family, explore our site and take the first step by signing up for our welcome package here.
Acton Academy of Washington, DC, is an independent affiliate of Acton Academy, founded in 2009 in Austin, Texas. The Acton network includes dozens of “learner-driven” schools across the United States and around the world.
The mission of Acton Academy of Washington, DC, is to guide each child on a journey to develop an entrepreneurial mindset and discover a calling.
We promise that your child will:
- Begin an entrepreneurial journey
- Discover his/her strengths
- Be a curious, independent learner
- Understand that dedication and hard work are required to realize his/her calling
- Understand the importance of character
- Celebrate political, economic, and religious freedom
- Cherish the arts, the wonders of the physical world, and the mysteries of life
- Each child has a gift that can change the world in a profound way
- Learning to do and learning to be are as important as learning to know
- Asking the right questions is as important as knowing the answers
- Authentic Montessori principles are the best foundation for the entrepreneurial journey
- All children are innately curious and driven to learn
- The ideal learning environment is a closely connected community of lifelong learners
Our Vision of What Education Is For
At Acton Academy of Washington, DC, we start with the most important question: What is education for? Acton believes that education is about discovering a calling. It’s about answering the most fundamental questions: “Who am I? Where am I going? How do my passions and talents connect with the world around me? How can I serve a great need and even change the world?” In other words, it’s about the entrepreneurial journey.
Our Educational Philosophy
We believe that students are the agents and primary drivers of their learning, the entrepreneurs of their own education and life calling. We believe that the role of adults is to prepare the physical and social environment and craft and curate experiences to support this entrepreneurial journey.